Skip to main content

Calculators to Change your Life

Why not? Calculators sure changed mine.

A lifetime ago, in a safe but stifling job, I found an online mortgage calculator that visualised the power of extra repayments. Having just borrowed to buy a home, it opened my eyes.

I was hooked.

Learning that early escape from debt was possible made it my obsession. I checked that calculator after every stymied project and pointless restructuring. So, like, twice a day.

With few opportunities to flex my skills in my IT role, I wrote other calculators to rationalise and strategise my approach to life.


They answer specific questions like:

  • How much should I borrow?
  • How much is my overtime worth?

That the then-nascent internet only had vague touchy-feely articles on work. How to influence, manage, and, if worst-comes-to-worst, cope.

But hard math was more satisfying than soft skills.

Running scenarios through these calculators helped me decide what was 'enough' and how soon I could reach it.

I slapped them up on free ISP-provided webspace so that I could game-plan wherever and whenever. And also to, y'know, flex.

The mortgage was discharged in 2005, about 25 years early.

With it, the need to labour to service it.

The calculators remained online, updated sporadically whenever people wrote in requests.

In May 2023 my ISP announced the cancellation of free webspace. So I moved the calculators to glitch.com, added a couple more, and wrote some upgrades.

Programming has obviously changed.

I originally used an unholy combination of Notepad and Frontpage to create the calculators, uploading them via janky freeware FTP clients. 20 years later, I'm using Visual Studio Code - an industry-grade free IDE - with integrated remote Git publishing. Higher-level libraries like jQuery and the Pure style module slash line counts. 

Once a slog born of desperation, insecurity, and thwarted ambition, coding has evolved into colourful fun.

I (would like to) think that these calculators are less transient. The reason being that they deal less in absolutes than in ratios. Your wealth is better understood as a ratio of your income, your salary as a ratio of money over actual time worked.

Balances and ratios often imply trade-offs. And the larger lesson I've learned from these calculators is that most absolutes in life are actually trade-offs.

Trade-offs can be optimised, or with knowledge of their parameters, deliberately undertaken or avoided. I have happily dodged, for example, the trade-off of me-time for parenting.

The trade-off for playing with these calculators is that they may change your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcode to PSP using Handbrake

Source: Handbrake 0.9.9.5530 64-bit edition Target: (Phat) Playstation Portable PSP-1000 , System Software: 6.60 Many internet articles on how to transcode video to PSP using Handbrake have not worked for me. Even the most helpful are incomplete. I hope this post will help fill in the blanks. There is no longer any PSP preset for Handbrake, but from what I can gather, the preset had only limited success as the x264 encoder would change syntax and settings between versions. Other presets that may have worked before, like 'iPod' and 'Apple-Universal' now do not. Here is what worked for me, step by step:

Firefox History Statistics - Extracting from Places.sqlite

If you want to take a look at Firefox surfing activity, the about:me add-on is a good start. However, it presents only one view of data and is thus limited in its ability to present more detailed statistics. We will view that data in a different program. So let's first extract it from the browsing history stored in the Places.sqlite file into a CSV file using a Firefox add-on. Step 1 - Locate and copy Places.sqlite to a working location On Windows machines, Places.sqlite is found in a directory similar to: C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ .default\places.sqlite Copy the file to another location. The database will be locked while using Firefox, and the SQLite plugin we will use to open it.

Bloomberg JSON data into Libreoffice Calc

LibreOffice Calc has no inbuilt stock market functions, and a popular plugin which offered those has stopped working along with changes to Yahoo Finance. Luckily, we can get the latest quotes from Bloomberg. [2018-12-15] Bloomberg Finance is, understandably, blocking multiple simultaneous requests. A more flexible solution is using a Python Stock Scraper .